[olug] VirtualBox?

Scott Jones scottj.org at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 22:42:19 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 02 April 2008, Luke -Jr wrote:

> On Wednesday 02 April 2008, Rob Townley wrote:
> > If VirtualBox is hard to fork, i would guess only because impediments and
> > lack of docs have been put up to make it hard.
>
> I think one primary factor is the company's (lack of) cooperation with
> outside developers, preventing a developer community. A fork would bypass
> this problem, but for the fork to take place in the first place, there
> needs to be a community of developers prepared to maintain it.

Why fork when license-compatible changes could be merged back into qemu's tree
where possible?  At its core, VirtualBox *is* qemu.  The crunchy coating on
that creamy center is Innotek's work, but there's quite a bit of that in the
OSE that is licensed under the GPL.

That said, I'm not that fond of VirtualBox for other reasons.  Unlike its
half-brother qemu, I've seen it quite easily start sucking up RAM and swap
like a fat kid at all-you-can-eat candy night with even just a single guest
running.