[olug] Autopackage Experience

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Wed Sep 19 04:00:46 UTC 2007

On 9/18/07, Aaron Grothe <ajgrothe at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> Anybody have any experience in building autopackages?  I'm thinking
> about building one for metasploit and I'd appreciate a hand, if
> anybody is up for a little project.  The other option is LSB which I
> haven't really played with either yet.  I've also thought about
> seeing what it takes to get it politically accepted into Debian, but
> since it isn't under a Debian approved License, it might be a bit
> tough.

Are you looking to make a *nix install point and shoot?  The install
for ubuntu doesn't look that complicated even for a non-ruby type.
With the requirement to agree to the metasploit license even the FBSD
port requires you to use your browser, agree and d/l'd the tar ball to
your distfiles -- much like the java install used to be.  On Ubuntu
looks like you just need to install rubygems and rails to get the need
ruby and libraries, then d/l'd the ms tarball and unpack

Why don't you just make a *nix based VM of it?  Then it doesn't matter
what host os the user  has installed.  Maybe a DSL VM with RoR and
gems and the sploit code?  People could then take a copy home with
them on their flash drives.  FBSD and Ubuntu Server 6.10 both weigh in
at 63MB

-jeff