[olug] Autopackage Experience

Aaron Grothe ajgrothe at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 02:57:12 UTC 2007

Hey All,

Anybody have any experience in building autopackages?  I'm thinking
about building one for metasploit and I'd appreciate a hand, if
anybody is up for a little project.  The other option is LSB which I
haven't really played with either yet.  I've also thought about
seeing what it takes to get it politically accepted into Debian, but
since it isn't under a Debian approved License, it might be a bit
tough.

Metasploit is a very cool tool for doing exploit testing.  It is
actually like hacking in the movies.  Pick an exploit, Pick a target,
Pick a payload and go.

The Microsoft Windows version has a simple installer.  The Linux
version is a bit more of a chore.

I haven't played with autopackage yet, so I'm thinking that might be
the way to build it to make it more accessible.  I've dorked around a
bit with LSB, but have never done much with it.

Is there a better solution than autopackage or LSB, besides the
obvious three answers "Use Windows", "Why don't you use wine?" or the
ever popular "I think gentoo has an ebuild for it".

Thanks,

Aaron
0-0-0
"The Journey is the Reward" - Old Zen Buddhist Saying