[olug] Linux friendly SATA RAID controller

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Tue Sep 11 13:29:21 UTC 2007

My current home workstation has three SATA drives using the Linux "MD"
RAID5 drivers.  It works quite well, but when I start doing file IO, the
system gets sluggish because of the overhead of the RAID5 driver.

I'm thinking of re-installing and using a true hardware RAID controller
(I'm not interested in the quasi RAID controllers that some cards have
that still require a software driver).  I have heard people recommend
3Ware, but are there any others that you've had good luck with?

Dan

--
- - - -
"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles "I do not