[olug] Live DVD's/CD's

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Tue Sep 11 02:16:15 UTC 2007

>> Anyone know if OpenSuse has a LiveDVD or CD?

It does; I have a copy at work.

>> If not what are some
>> distros that do have one?  My mother is fed up with Vista and after
>> using my system she was interested in trying it on her computer.
>
> Knoppix or Ubuntu would be the first 2 off my head that would be great
> for a "non-geek".

As far as your choice of distro, I'd second the recommendation for
Ubuntu.  I've been running it on my home desktop for about a year
and love it.  It'll go onto my "new" used laptop when I get one.

I've been running OpenSUSE 10.x (2?) on my desktop at work for about
a year, also.  It's OK, but I like Ubuntu better.  My biggest complaint
with SUSE is YaST.  The administrative controls are so complicated that
I (a professional Unix guy for 17 years) have trouble using the admin
GUI, and the package update mechanism is simply abysmal.  I wouldn't
dream of recommending it to a non-geek.  Ubuntu's Synaptic Package
Manager is really a delight to use, in comparison.

I've only run Knoppix as a rescue disc.  I also think I have an older
copy (5.1.1), so it's not fair for me to compare it to any other
full-blown, current distros.  It works fine when you lose your main
hard drive, though.

I'm still undecided on the KDE vs Gnome thing.  I run Gnome at home
and KDE at work.  Each has its good & bad points.  I'd definitely
give Gnome to a newbie, as it's much simpler to use, but lacks some
of KDE's power tools.