[olug] WRT (was: Tonight's meeting)

Sam Tetherow tetherow at shwisp.net
Wed Sep 5 18:11:20 UTC 2007

What is the connection rate on your wireless connection?  You are going
to get actual throughput at a little under half the air rate (so 11Mbps
802.11B really only gets you a maximum of about 4.5M data rate).

Assuming you are managing a 56Mbps 802.11g connection, then next thing
to try is changing channels.  Inside a home this usually isn't a proble,
but depending on where the router and/or laptop are located it can make
a difference (especially if near a window or in an apt complex).
Channel choice is entirely environment dependent but 1 or 11 may be
better than the stock channel 6.  If 1 and 11 don't help, you can walk
through each channel and test.

I would be surprised that the router couldn't handle it's maximum over
the air data rate using a standard setup.

    Sam Tetherow
    Sandhills Wireless