[olug] WRT (was: Tonight's meeting)

Tim & Alethea Larson thelarsons3 at cox.net
Wed Sep 5 02:37:53 UTC 2007

Travis Owens wrote:
> This struck a chord with me, since my new Linksys WRT54G (V8) is
> having significant wireless speed issues. I understand there is
> potential loss of speed compared to wired connections, but we're
> sitting within 20 feet of the router, and our wired speeds are +10M/s
> easily... wireless is 3M/s at best...
>
> The preliminary research I've done so far, points to an upgrade to
> dd/open-wrt as helping, but saying it's never going to be the same...
>
> I'm not asking for the same, but good grief... paying for a 12M/s pipe
> and only getting 1/4 of it... I think not...
>
> Anyway, I figured to toss this out there and see if anyone has had
> similar experiences, or any suggestions to fix it.

I have definitely had similar experiences.  I'd always assumed it was
something to do with a flaky driver for my USB wifi adapter (initially),
or some unidentified setting I managed to jack when installing a second
WRT54G to bridge the wifi signal (recently, factory fw on the main and
DD-WRT on the remote end).  I frequently have bad latency and often slow
transfers too.  I'm probably 20' from my main router too, and up one
floor.  Last I checked it wasn't possible to flash the newest 54G models.

Tim

--
Tim & Alethea
christtrek.org