[olug] Linux-friendly GPS units

Jay Swackhamer Jay at RebootTheUser.com
Mon Oct 29 19:17:22 UTC 2007

The N810 will be out in november, starting at $500.

If you want a more inexpensive route, a N770 is now $140 or less, and
a good bluetooth GPS receiver is $80 or less. Maemo mapper can use
openstreets, google maps, google streets, VE street, VE sat, or i've
been using the VE hybrid(sat maps with data overlay)

With the N770 + Holux GPSlim240 + maemo mapper + Verizon data plan, I
can get new maps wherever I am, or I can use the wifi, and pan around
where I am going, and update the maps, or I think you can put in a
route and have it download the maps.

Plus I can use it to browse, newsreader, ebook reader, kismet, mame,
ssh, lots of other stuff, and I Also have an auto-diagnostic with
CarMan, and a bluetooth OBDII adapter.

The wife was happy when I found out the 'service engine soon' light
was just a emissions code from the pressure drop on the gas-cap from
running the car near empty, and I diagnosed, and cleared the code on
the way to dinner.

After a year, I still get around three days on a charge with normal
use, and a pretty long day with heavy use.

--
Jay Swackhamer
Reboot The User