[olug] Alarms in Perl.

Scott Miller scott.l.miller at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 14:47:36 UTC 2007

1. Yes, as I remember, the eval essentially spawns off another perl process
(what actually happens under the hood, I don't remember, or care about); so,
anything you'd normally do in perl will work within an eval block.  There
may be caveats for extremely convoluted stuff, but I'd initially assume it
will "just work".

2. alarm is part of the base Perl package, Object::Destroyer is not.  The
answer to what's installed initially vs. what is installed specifically is
not necessarily an easy question to answer, but you can get a good start for
what packages are installed at this site:
http://www.cpan.org/misc/cpan-faq.html

3. There is lots of magic that can be done with the command line, it is
probable that you can convert the entire code given to a single command
line.  See this site: http://perldoc.perl.org/perlrun.html   That being
said, the example given is simply calling a subroutine, so the rest of your
script would either also have to go on the command line, or you're going to
have to <include> or <use> your code file within the script given. (and the
object::destroyer thing will also need to be <use>d.

Hope this helps,
-Scott L. Miller