[olug] VNC w/Qwest

Kenny Kant kenny.kant at running-config.com
Thu Oct 18 06:18:03 UTC 2007

Very interesting thread, but I am curious about DHCP and its use of
ICMP/Pinging.  I have never heard of this being used when describing the
function of DHCP, could you explain further?  What component of the dhcp
model performs the pings?  I have always thought this was the role of
the database maintained by the dhcp server itself.  If your statement
were correct I think we would have many networks fooked as I have seen
many DHCP enabled networks in conjunction with about 3/4 of the hosts on
that segment running Windows Software Firewalls all of which are denying
receipt of ICMP echo requests.

Kenny