[olug] Best Linux media center program

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Thu Oct 11 10:00:59 UTC 2007

On Thursday 11 October 2007, DYNATRON tech wrote:
> i hear you, luke.
> PS3 is my next big project!
> i'm waiting for the price to come down before i start ripping into them.
> unlike microsoft, sony is being somewhat encouraging to the homebrew scene.
> i commend them for that.

Well, the PS3 runs games and Linux inside a hypervisor (like Xen), but AFAIK
nobody has actually managed to get it to load more than one system at a time.
Nevertheless, it *should* be possible, from what I understand.

The downside to Sony's supporting Linux is that they won't support using the
3D acceleration. Which leaves the community to either finding a work around
and reverse engineering it (might not be possible due to the hypervisor's
monitoring), or to turn the Cell CPUs into a fast software renderer.