[olug] sed issues inside of a script

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Tue Nov 13 22:55:46 UTC 2007

> ${var} is the "standard" way to do variable
> references of any kind in bash, deprecating the sh standard of $var and most
> of the modifiers within {} are still expecting a normal scalar value.

${var} has been a standard syntax in sh for a very, very long time.  It
certainly predates bash.  Omitting the braces is merely a shorthand
that can be used unless a var is followed by a letter, digit, or
underscore that is not to be interpreted as part of its name.
Basically, the braces allow you to do variable substitution when the
variable is immediately followed by more alphanumeric text.