[olug] Dell Selling Ubuntu

Bill Brush bbrush at gmail.com
Fri May 25 19:13:58 UTC 2007

On 5/25/07, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> On Friday 25 May 2007 12:11, Bill Eberly wrote:
> > As much as I would like to think Dell was serious about this, I just don't
> > think they are. Instead of just being able to select Windows or Ubuntu when
> > you're customizing your computer, you have to specifically go to the open
> > source page. Even then, when you go to configure your PC, they still have
> > the "Dell Recommends Windows Vista" displayed at the top. I really seems
> > like a move to quiet all the people ranting and raving on Ideastorm.
>
> Not to mention that the prices look the same...

XPS 410 with XP = $899
XPS 410 with Ubuntu = $849

Let's put aside our preconceptions about Dell and just consider for a
few moments that a major, if not the biggest manufacturer of consumer
PC hardware now has the option to get Linux pre-installed on a machine
firmly targetted at the home market.

You can suspect their motivations and their commitment all you want,
but actions speak louder than words, and in this case Dell has
delivered what they said they would.

If this drives Linux adoption even a little adoption even slightly,
how can that be a bad thing?

Bill