[olug] Sound card suggestions

Jon Larsen relayer at levania.org
Thu May 24 18:10:58 UTC 2007

I will always keep my SB Live (emu10k1) in my system.  It's the best
Soundcard I've ever had for Linux.  Most SB Live, Audigy, Audigy 2 and
Audigy 4 are all supported in Alsa.  The SB Live value will also work, but
it does not the same chipset as the SB Live and I didn't have a good
experience with it.

On another note, Creative has announced non-free drivers for the X-Fi:

April 30, 2007 -- Creative plans to make proprietary (closed source)
drivers available for the X-Fi series of sound cards. SEE  Soundcard
Support for updated details. These drivers should have full support for
ALSA (playback, recording, mixer, MIDI, synthesis) and OpenAL 1.1 (with
EAX effects).