[olug] linux / freebsd as firewire disk?

Matt Anderson manders2k.lists at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 00:12:29 UTC 2007

I guess what I'm trying to accomplish (or at least establish as
possible) is this: can one set up a multi-drive, RAID  enclosure
running Linux or FreeBSD which can be used simply as a firewire disk
by other operating systems (OS X, Win-whatever, another linux or
freebsd host, etc).

Ideally, the other OS could format the volume in it's own native file
system of choice.

The equivalent of rolling your own thing like is mentioned here:

   http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/03/29/iomega.2tb.raid.drive/

On Mar 30, 2007, at 2:33 PM, Hurley Rod wrote:

> Isn't that what drive sharing accomplishes?  Share out the drive(s)
> and
> the pc B doesn't care what's on pc A, just that it can see the shares.
> Depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

  Matt Anderson