[olug] Suggestions for web/e-mail/shell access hosting...

Wesley Ferrel wferrel at ferrel.org
Wed Mar 21 17:45:05 UTC 2007

I realize I'm 4 days out on this response, but I've gotta give a nod to
linode.com.  Their offering is great.  It's do-it-yourself, so it can be
more involved than just getting a hosted service from a canned service
provider.  However, their service offerings keep growing, and the value
you get for your $ is great, and constantly increasing.  Plus it gives
you the flexibility to add your own services as your needs change and
grow.  They've got servers in three data centers (West Coast, Central
and East Coast) so you have your choice of locations.

As an example of their increased value, when I started, I was paying
$19.95 for their lowest end offering, the linode64.
It offered:
64meg of ram,
~2 gig of disk
~25GB/Month transfer
(it was a while ago, and so the last two numbers may be off a bit).

Today, their 19.95 offering gets you:
256 meg of ram
8 gig of disk
100GB/Month transfer

As well, if you choose to pay annually you get +50% disk space on all
their plans.

Ok, sorry, this is starting to sound like a commercial, and that wasn't
my intent, but I am VERY happy with their offerings and service.

</linodegroupiemode>

    Wes