[olug] Rescue CD

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Tue Mar 20 01:59:54 UTC 2007

On Mon, March 19, 2007 18:54, swanpoint at cox.net wrote:
> thanks for the replies; after putting a full day into this it looks like
> if the data is to be recovered, it will have to be at the expense of some
> real $$$. Any experience out there with "clean room" professional
> services? I hear $500 -- $4,000 estimates being thrown about. These iMac
> OEM Maxtors have a reputation.

Is this HDD suffereing from a "click-of-death" sort of failure?  Or was it
OS/Filesystem related?

If it's of the hardware variety, you might want to investigate "Spin Rite"
(http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm).  I used a copy to resurrect an in-laws
computer HDD just long enough to get their files transferred to the new
drive.  It's only

- - -
"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov