[olug] Firewall + NAS Backup

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Mon Mar 5 20:45:09 UTC 2007

On Mon, March 5, 2007 14:09, Bradley Arth wrote:
> The other box I'm wanting to put together is a NAS/Backup solution for my
> home. Again I have an old desktop that I plan on using and figured I would
> put on somthing like FreeNAS and use that as place to backup my files.
> From
> the best of my knowledge FreeNAS is a BSD distro, is there a better way to
> go using linux. I thought about using the Ubuntu server install and
> installing samba and going from there. Any suggestions.

There's "OpenNAS" (http://opennas.codigolivre.org.br/) for a Linux
version.  I installed it on an old P2-350MHz and it is/was slow to bring
up even on this box.  Once I get done with that server I'll probably try
FreeNAS since it appeared to be a bit more stripped down.  Aside from the
speed, OpenNAS seems to be full featured and would probably be easy enough
to extend should you need more from it.

I am pretty sure that OpenNAS does have a firewall capability, but can't
remember.  Furthermore, I think that FreeNAS does *NOT* do firewalling --
strictly a NAS box.

Dan

- - - -
"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov