[olug] software raid advice - swap?

Ryan Stille ryan at cfwebtools.com
Fri Mar 2 23:54:16 UTC 2007

Ryan Stille wrote:
> Ok I've got raid setup and the OS installed.  But its not booting.  Can
> you boot directly from an mdX device?  My machine won't boot.  No
> errors, it just doesn't do anything after the bios/scsi bios messages.
>
> -Ryan

Hmm well I had a suspicion its something with the boot loader, so I
booted with my rescue CD then installed grub to the two drives. I don't
know if that was a good idea or not, here is how I did it:

grub
root (hd1,0)
setup (hd1)
root (hd2,0)
setup (hd2)

Those numbers may be off but I think thats what I ran.

Then I rebooted, and this time I further - I got "Booting CentOS-4
....", then
"root(hd1,0)..." then the "kernel" line, then:
Error 15: File not found.

Any ideas?

Before I did all that I ran grub-install /dev/md0, but that didn't work
and I later read that grub-install doesn't support raid arrays, you have
to do it manually, so thats what I was trying to do with the root/setup
commands.

Thanks,
-Ryan