[olug] software raid advice - swap?

Ryan Stille ryan at cfwebtools.com
Fri Mar 2 21:10:12 UTC 2007

I'm setting up software raid (RAID1) on CentOS/RedHat. I've got two scsi
drives I'm going to mirror as the / mount point.  What should I do about
swap space?  I could place it on one of the scsi drives, but if that
drives fails what happens?  Bad stuff I imagine, so why even have raid
if the system is going to fail when the drive does?

I believe I could create two swap partitions, one on each drive, and the
OS would use both at the same time (based on some stuff I read).  But
there is still a good chance when a drive fails you're going to crash
because there will be stuff swapped into that swap partition.

The other option I'm thinking is to create the swap partition as another
raid device, mirrored on both drives.  I'm not sure thats possible.
Whadda think?

-Ryan