[olug] Port filtering is annoying

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Sun Jun 24 22:31:55 UTC 2007

Well, I decided to go through emails of guys in OLUG and add them to my IM
roster when they were valid IM addresses. To determine their validity as an
IM address, I did a simple "telnet $domain xmpp-server || dig SRV
_xmpp-server._tcp.$domain" loop. However, a number of you seem to be
filtering the xmpp-server port, causing telnet to hang there longer than my
patience allows for. Is there a reason people can't be friendly enough to
just say "I don't have that service" with a RST packet? :)

Anyhow, if anyone has a different IM address than email, feel free to add me
to your IM roster (my IM address is luke at dashjr.org :)