[olug] The first sysadmin job at the new Google facility in Council Bluffs

Cesar Delgado cdelgad2 at bigred.unl.edu
Wed Jun 20 16:44:52 UTC 2007

Google is very secretive.  And when I say "very" I mean _VERY_
secretive.  I too was thinking of what else could be going on in the new
facility but they also are making another one in South Carolina
(http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2007/Apr/04/google_announces_600m_so_car_project.html).
  Here in the Bay Area (I'm living in Sunnyvale now) between Google and
Yahoo there are no more data centers.  They've bought/rented all of
them.  Ask is also in the running to suck up data center space with
their Ask3D stuff.  So, if there's no more space to put machines, they
just build more data centers.  As well, and I don't know how many of you
know this but bellow I-80 there is a lot of fiber that goes from coast
to coast.  Anyone who builds next to it only has to hop, skip or jump
and they can get their own lambda, or .  I'm sure in the case of Google
they've already bought up more dark fiber under I-80 than anyone can
imagine.  I think the Iowa facility is exactly that.  Tap into that huge
pool of fiber to better their service.  Then again, they might make a
campus over there with offices.  Cheap land's not a bad thing.

Just my $0.02

-Cesar