[olug] mail services

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Sun Jun 17 04:08:43 UTC 2007

At Tue, 20 Mar 07, Unidentified Flying Banana Travis Owens, said:
> I would suggest teaching them Yahoo! mail or Gmail.  Both have great
> interfaces and brilliant filtering solutions. They are well
> maintained, improving constantly.

I would second this.  I'm not a Yahoo! user, so I can't comment on that,
bug Gmail supports pulling e-mail from POP3 accounts, and also makes
itself accessible via POP3.  It has good spam/anti-virus support built
into it, and is basically maintenance free.

If you really want to get fancy, check out Google Apps for your
Domain[0].  It allows you to setup Gmail (plus their other online apps)
using your own domain name.  I recently set this up for my family to
use, and they're absolutely *loving* it.  You get a management console
to add and manage your own users, and since it's using your own domain
name, the usernames can be anything you want (you get your own
namespace).

Oh, and the personal version (with 2GB mailboxes), is free.  Initial
setup gives you up to 100 user accounts, and you can request more if you
need them.  I've been extremely happy with it.

  [0] http://www.google.com/a/