[olug] Suggestions for web/e-mail/shell access hosting...

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Mon Jun 11 04:16:21 UTC 2007

On Sunday 10 June 2007 23:11, Benjamin Watson wrote:
> If you're hosting needs are small (you mentioned "family stuff"
> earlier), then you may be able to do it yourself using your existing
> residential COX connection (don't tell COX I mentioned this).

This won't work with important ports blocked. Nobody likes a URI with a port
number, and SRV records are not widely supported. Port 25 (SMTP) is an even
larger problem as its being blocked will prevent most mail from getting
through.

I wish these stupid companies were forced to compete. I'd love to be able to
say to Cox "RoadRunner gives me 4 IPs, 8 Mbit, and servers allowed for $42 a
month" and have them offer to match it.

I will probably just go the business connection route and work on add
out-of-house no-uptime-guarantees to my hosting services.