[olug] Suggestions for web/e-mail/shell access hosting...

Benjamin Watson bwatson1979 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 04:11:33 UTC 2007

If you're hosting needs are small (you mentioned "family stuff"
earlier), then you may be able to do it yourself using your existing
residential COX connection (don't tell COX I mentioned this).

http://www.no-ip.com/  can get you around the hassle of your DHCP
address received from COX.  They have a variety of plans ranging from
free (basic dynamic DNS) to some pay plans that do more.

And while COX blocks a few ports (e.g. 80), apache can listen on
whatever port you choose.

I know the basic residential upload speeds aren't that great,
therefore hosting HD video won't be an option, but a basic web page
with photos should perform OK to a small "customer" base.