[olug] ANN: Omaha Python Users Group Meeting, Aug 1 @ 7pm

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Mon Jul 30 14:36:02 UTC 2007

Stan,

The which is better question I leave for others -- I believe languages
to be like tools, so the more you know the bigger your tool chest and
the more problems you'll be able to solve -- easily.  Being a member
of OmahaPython does lead one to believe that I am biased in that
direction though<g>.

Learning resources for Python are plentiful, here is a short list:
First Book:

    * Learning Python (O'Reilly - by Mark Lutz, David Ascher)

Python Tutorials Online:

    * Official Python Tutuorial (by Guido van Rossum) http://docs.python.org/tut
    * Dive Into Python (by Mark Pilgrim) http://diveintopython.org/toc
    * Instant Python (by Magnus Lie Hetland)
http://hetland.org/writing/instant-python.html

Online Videos:
   * ShowMeDo.com http://www.showmedo.com/videos/python

Local User Groups:
   * Omaha Python Users Group http://www.omahapython.org/

I see that there is a thread started on Perl resources; There is an
active Perl Mongers group here in Omaha lead by Jay Hannah.

-Jeff

On 7/29/07, Stan Coleman <stan at srcproductions.com> wrote:
> I'm looking at learning a new program language this fall. Which is better
> Pearl or Phython or ????
> What resourse (books website etc.) would you recomend if I wanted to teach
> myself? Or would you recomend me taking a class from some where?

Jeff Hinrichs
www.OmahaPython.org