[olug] User Group and Trademark

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Fri Jul 27 17:08:23 UTC 2007

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Todd Christopher Hamilton wrote:

> I need some advise.  I am setting up a user group for users of a small
> software application.  (about 11 healthcare facilities nationwide)  I
> am not part of the company at all.  I don't sell the software or
> develop or anything.  Anyway the owner just sent me an email giving me
> crap about trademark, misrepresentation, and using their name without
> their permission.  How can I host an independent user group without
> permission from the product owner?  What I mean is what language do I
> include so it satisfies all the legal stuff?

Call a lawyer.  All of the advice on the planet won't help you out if
it all ends with "IANAL."  Chances are it'll be pretty cheap to have a
lawyer send them a letter that basically says, "Shut the hell up."  I
doubt they have anything but unactionable bluster in their letter, but
then, IANAL. :)

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University