[olug] Cox Issues Was: Cox sucks

Dave Weis djweis at internetsolver.com
Wed Jul 18 22:50:44 UTC 2007

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, Sam Tetherow wrote:
> Because people want to buy a speed rated plan, but providers cannot
> support that speed as dedicated bandwidth. They have to oversell in
> order to be profitable.

Agreed, if you want something that you can completely saturate 24x7, I
would sell you a T1 or something for $100-200/megabit. It fits the normal
usage model to periodically use your connection but have it be fast when
you do.

> While the more tech savvy customers would understand things like 95
> percentile billing or burstable connection rates. To 95% of residential
> customers they only get Xmpbs and the only thing they really get is the
> bigger the X the better the connection. It is just like when they buy a
> new computer, as long as the number before the GHz is big they are happy.

Make sure you get lots of gigabytes too!111 :-)

Life is way to short to explain percentile billing to a "normal" user.

dave