[olug] Cox Issues Was: Cox sucks

Jon Larsen relayer at levania.org
Wed Jul 18 20:14:41 UTC 2007

If I remember correctly, the AUP I signed in 1998 stated that you
cannot run servers on your computer.  FTP, WWW, SMTP, etc.  I remember
some list discussion regarding whether ssh/telnet or netmeeting were
considered servers and was covered under the same rules.

Here is the earliest OLUG reference I could find to port blocking, after
@Home folded.
http://lists.olug.org/pipermail/olug/2002-May/005528.html

I wasn't trying to say port 80 was closed due to code red, simply those
type of worms.  In todays internet age, it helps prevent that.  During the
internet of yesterday, I can see the block going in to re-enforce the AUP.

This could have occurred:
"We've got people in violation of the AUP - but we don't want to loose
them as a paying customer.  Block the ports for everyone!"

Jon L.