[olug] Cox Issues Was: Cox sucks

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Wed Jul 18 20:12:31 UTC 2007

Daniel Pfile wrote:
> Port 80 was blocked before code red appeared. If 25 outbound is blocked
> to stop spam being sent, why do I remember 25 inbound being blocked
> before that? (I've had cox internet for over 8 years)

IIRC port 80 was blocked to prevent dumbasses who can't keep their
machines clean from hosting spam-advertised web sites. Could be
mis-remembering that part though...

WRT port 25: As I recall it was the other way around: outbound was
blocked several years (2002?) before inbound (definitely 2006) - at one
point in time I ran my email service out of my basement but had to use a
smarthost, then in 2006 I couldn't host my own email on residential Cox
at all...

I also recall that the block was node-specific - some neighborhoods had
it blocked while others didn't.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us