[olug] Cox sucks

Dan Clough dclough at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 16:32:13 UTC 2007

thelarsons3 at cox.net wrote:
> Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 17 July 2007 15:24, thelarsons3 at cox.net wrote:
>>
>>> "Justifying the expense" is always the hard part.  I'd gladly pay $10/month
>>> extra to Cox for "hobbiest" level service (unblocked ports and reasonable
>>> upload caps) but that's about all it's worth to me.
>>>
>> Maybe if enough of us get together and ask for a hobbiest flag (maybe $5/mo
>> extra, if anything), they'll pay attention.
>>

> It would have to be more than Omahans asking for it.  Cox has newsgroups, though I'm not sure how widely read they are - maybe make some noise there and see if anyone else jumps on the bandwagon.  Use petitiononline.com or something like it.
>
> Tim

Speaking of the massive "suck" emanating from Cox, did anybody else get
that automated phone call mentioning that their service now includes
"PowerBoost"?

I received that call yesterday and since then, I've gotten about a third
of the speeds I usually get downloading ISOs, especially those from
kernel.org and osuosl.org.  I used to push 1.5MB/s for large files but
the fastest I've seen since yesterday have been in the 600kB/s range.

-Dan