[olug] Active bandwidth monitoring

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Wed Jul 18 14:47:15 UTC 2007

On Wed, July 18, 2007 09:18, Craig Wolf wrote:
> I know that when I replaced my cable modem about 6 months ago, I tested
> the old one at different times of day and then tested my new one at those
> same times of day over a week as before and I almost doubled my download
> speed.  My old modem was probably 5 years old.  I went from 3.8Mb to 7Mb.
> Just thought I would share.  Well worth the $40 to double my speeds.

With the @Work service, they provide the cablemodem as part of the setup
fee (though my previous modem was only 14 months old).  I'd love to hack
the DOCSIS side of the modem to see what sort of caps/limitations/features
are there.

Dan

- - - -
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot,
jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-- Ed Howdershelt (Author)

"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov (Author)
737, Lacrosse, CTU, York, HRT, 888, Halibut
Cypherpunks, S.A.I.C., Blacklisted 411, SBI, NOCS, speedbump, package
HAHO, Geraldton, Hillal, TIE, 1984, GOE, E911