[olug] Cox sucks

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Wed Jul 18 03:41:04 UTC 2007

On Tue, July 17, 2007 16:33, Sam Tetherow wrote:
[Wonderfully concise technical description of the hurdles that current
"Wireless ISP" providers need to contend with deleted. -- Dan]
> The only practical use I could see for a municipal level wireless
> network would be for the casual user so they can read email and lightly
> browse the web[...]

One definite draw-back to most all WISP solutions is that their ability to
penetrate buildings depends greatly on the radio frequency and the
building construction material.  My local Target is a near perfect Faraday
cage for Sprint phones, but just outside their doors and I get a clean
signal.

Once WiFi enabled phones and other portable devices have reached a
critical mass, I can imagine building owners installing WiFi for their
customers and allowing them to access the Internet -- personal on-line
shopping list anyone? -- but only through the stores proxy server to
insert ads, promote in-store specials, etc.

Dan

- - - -
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot,
jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-- Ed Howdershelt (Author)

"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov (Author)
Juiliett Class Submarine, chosen, M.P.R.I., SSL, SACLANT, CQB, black-bag
RSP, Alouette,executive, Gorizont, Macintosh Internet Security, CIS,
remailers, UHF
NOCS, Fetish, VIP Protection, AHPCRC, nitrate, CISE, subversives