[olug] Cox sucks

thelarsons3 at cox.net thelarsons3 at cox.net
Tue Jul 17 15:24:44 UTC 2007

Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> Ok, so Cox is clearly blocking ports 25 and 80, despite that 3 of every 5
> representatives say nothing is blocked and there are no terms of service...
> So it looks like I have 2 choices:
> 1. pay for a MX and HTTP reverse-proxy
> 2. pay Cox for business-class service
>
> Either way, I need to justify the expense. Anyone looking for hosting
> services? ;)
>
> I can't guarantee uptime, since I don't have a big datacenter with dual WAN
> and stuff, but I can provide static IPs if necessary and such.

"Justifying the expense" is always the hard part.  I'd gladly pay $10/month extra to Cox for "hobbiest" level service (unblocked ports and reasonable upload caps) but that's about all it's worth to me.  More than that, and I'll put up with not hosting my own email and running web on an alternate port.

There are probably places I could pay $10/month to host for me and give me considerable access, but that's not the same.

Tim
--
Tim & Alethea