[olug] Cox sucks

Kenny Kant kenny.kant at running-config.com
Tue Jul 17 02:21:56 UTC 2007

I think I hear about this issue from every "techy" person I know :)  and
it is great to hear how others are going about getting service to match
their needs.  For me, instead of upgrading to the High End Cox (lol) I
simply host all of my email ..etc with bluehost.com I pay less than 100
per year and get insane limits on bandwidth and storage space.  I also
get shell access to the server, they do have a cap though for the number
of email accounts you can have 3000 ??!? For me and my family needs this
is more than enough.  For simple email and web needs what does one need
past this?  To me having a dedicated server, in a REAL server room, with
real up time monitoring, backups, and power out weighs the coolness
factor of having an ubuntu box in my basement running Postfix and
Horde :p

As for Cox sucking, they kick ass in my book.  Coming from Lincoln where
we only had RR (which did allow port 25 and 80 on residential BTW not
sure now) Cox is MUCH MUCH faster and more reliable.

What other options are there in Omaha?  Qwest I know of for sure what
about other DSL options?  Anyone here use Internet Nebraska?  If so do
you use their DSL or Cable?  Last time I checked this was capped.  If a
Nebraska based ISP, like Internet Neb would provide decent service I
would switch in a heart beat.

Kenny