[olug] SSL Explorer

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Mon Jul 16 00:17:50 UTC 2007

At Sun, 15 Jul 07, Unidentified Flying Banana Joel Buhr, said:
> I was looking for something that could secure my OWA or remote access
> to my windows network. Opensource is preferred due to costs.

OpenVPN is free and Open Source.

> Does openvpn require software to be installed?

It does require software to be installed.  If you're looking for
something that is purely browser-based, then this isn't going to fit.

My experience on the client-based vs. browser-based VPNs is that the
client based VPNs require a little more work up front to get the client
installed, configured, and running everywhere, while the browser based
VPNs require more work over time in the increased hassle and overhead of
use, more problems with applications and reduced flexibility.

OpenVPN, though SSL based, is a full VPN technology.  It is not web
based and has almost no limitations on what you can run over it.  Once
you connect through OpenVPN, you have a virtual interface that is on the
remote network, allowing you to access file shares, internal websites,
etc, as if you were physically on the remote network.

Most SSL/Web VPNs offer a much more limited form of VPN providing web
access, and then using things like SOCKS proxies or special plug-ins,
allow access to non-web based applications.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both technologies, and really
isn't a "best" one, just a best fit for specific requirements.  As is
likely obvious, I generally prefer a fuller featured more flexible VPN,
such as OpenVPN, but SSL/Web based VPNs also have their place.