[olug] best linux distro for...

Travis Owens openbook1441 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 02:30:44 UTC 2007

Just out of curiosity, why must it be an RPM based distro? One would
think debs would fit the need as well since they serve the same
purpose, but most popular distros will have a well-developed package
management system. That being the case, what are the specific reasons
you require RPM.

I am not trying to be a jerk or a !337 and will not get into the
religious like flame-wars over which distro is better/best, but rather
take a more pragmatic approach. The best advice anyone can receive
when asking this type of question, is "What is the distro your closest
"linux" friend is running? Run that."

Typically, if someone is asking this type of question, they will
probably need some form of ongoing support, for at least a small
amount of time to make sure they get everything setup the way they
want. For this reason, I would agree with the above statement,
however, there is so much support online already for tons of
problem-situations you would encounter, you're bound to be able to do
what you would need with almost any of the major players:
Redhat/CentOS, Debian/[X|K]Ubuntu, GENTOO (I may have said that one a
bit too loud) etc.

If you could provide more information on what background you have,
what purpose the server is to serve, what resources you have to
support it, we might be able to make a better answer.

Travis

On 7/12/07, DYNATRON tech <dynatron at gmail.com> wrote:
> hey,
>
> i've got a 1/2 TB, P4 (hyperthreading) dell server with a Nvidia 5200 dual
> display card.
>
> i've got about 20 different linux distros, but i'm not sure which will be
> the most painless to install.
> i'm looking for a setup where the desktop spans both monitors, and i'd like
> both KDE and Gnome.
> my only other requirement is RPM.
>
> any suggestions would be excellent to hear.
> the server came with an outdated copy of red hat, but i'm not very enthused
> about using that.

Travis Owens