[olug] Question: package / system for administrating multiple very similar systems ?

Jim O'Gorman jameso at elwood.net
Wed Jul 11 14:11:37 UTC 2007

No, its not a system cloning framework at all. You can't take an existing
system and then use this to duplicate it.

Instead what you do is say you have a server to set up to serve web pages.
You could do the traditional thing of installing the OS, installing and
configuring the apps, and that is that. And there is nothing wrong with that
in many small installations. However, this does not lend its self to
repeatable and reproducible systems. With autodeploy, what you would do is
put your applications and configurations into a series of scripts and
updating a global config file using the autodeploy framework. Then if you
want to set up multiple instances of said web server, you could do so. Or,
if you want to tear down and rebuild the system for what ever reason, you
can do so. Its all automated, allowing you to go to a known good state with
minimal trouble.

Thanks
Jim