[olug] Killing a process

Travis Owens openbook1441 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 20:14:42 UTC 2007

Hey all,

Here's a stumper... had a box running a process which writes to a
piped process. The piped process died unexpectedly. The initial
process was then stuck in a "waiting" or as top displayed "swapped
out" mode. It was using 99% of the CPU as well, but we could not kill
it.

Has anyone experienced this before, and is there a way to recover w/o rebooting?

We were looking at trying to manually create a symlink under
/proc/<pid>/fd/ to take the place of the missing pipe and redirect to
/dev/null so it would move out of the swapped out status and then we
could kill it, but it didn't work.

Any thoughts?

--
Travis Owens