[olug] problems with external USB device

Sam Tetherow tetherow at shwisp.net
Wed Jan 31 18:13:39 UTC 2007

Haven't seen that one before, what distro are you running? Suse and
Ubuntu the automount has never done anything like that to me before. I
would hazard a guess that the correct modules aren't loaded (make sure
usb-storage and general usb drivers are loaded prior to plugging in).

Slightly offtopic:

Does anyone else have problems in general with external USB enclosures
on linux? I've had 3 different enclosures and all 3 will corrupt the
drive if I leave them plugged in for any real lenght of time (more than
a day, sometimes much sooner). It will throw general IO errors when
trying to read or write and occasionally it will corrupt the file system
on the drive (both reiserfs and ext3). In one case it was trashed beyond
fsck's ability to repair.

Anyone else have similar bad luck or am I just cursed?

Sam Tetherow