[olug] problems with external USB device

Jon Larsen relayer at levania.org
Wed Jan 31 17:55:17 UTC 2007

Is the hard drive a USB-bus powered device or does it have it's own
power brick?

My bus-powered USB hard drive has two usb connectors to get enough voltage
to spin up the drive and power the ATA2USB interface.

If you have a self-powered USB hub, give that a try.  Some of the older
motherboard mounted USB connectors couldn't ouput enough power for
devices to work properly.