[olug] new laptop

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Fri Jan 26 16:37:21 UTC 2007

On Fri, January 26, 2007 09:58, Bradley Arth wrote:
> More info on the laptop purchase would be helpful. for instance, is she
> going to run windows, linux, macos?

Windows XP (not even Vista until others have shook the bugs out)

> are you planning on supporting the
> laptop for her, when it gets errors and such.

I or my dad will be the OS and basic troubleshooting support.  The only
external support she's concerned about is when some piece of hardware dies
six months out (bad battery, bad pixels on the display, failing HDD, etc).

> Is she worried about the price at all?

Aren't we all? :)

Seriously, she's willing to pay a bit more for support if its not just the
usual scripted "re-install the OS" type of solutions.  Heck, she's an
English major and she knows that isn't going to solve a bad power-supply
problem! ;)

> I take all those into consideration when figuring out a good place
> to purchase/support things.

Definately -- her personal experience with her current Dell laptop is the
reason shes steering clear from them.

Dan

- - - -
"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov