[olug] Intro

Daniel Pfile daniel at pfile.net
Sat Feb 24 01:12:10 UTC 2007

On Feb 23, 2007, at 6:52 PM, Travis Owens wrote:

> Hello all!

Hi there

> My name is Travis Owens and I am relocating to Omaha (currently here
> ahead of my family, following in April.)

Welcome to Omaha, land of cows, trains, red uniforms, and Connor.

> I wanted to drop a note out to everyone, and say I am glad there's a
> LUG here! I love Linux, use it at work, as well as for consulting. I
> have been Windows free on the desktop since 2001, and have used all of
> the major flavors of Linux out there. (Gentoo is my current favorite
> -- Flame -war repellent activated!) ;)

Good stuff. I'm OSX (Workstation), CentOS (Work servers) and Gentoo
(Personal use bleeding edge servers).

> I also love PHP and will be taking my Zend PHP 5 certification test
> soon. I would consider joining/starting a PHP users group in this area
> if there is any interest! (hint)

I avoid PHP as much as possible, but still use it for work when I
have to. I believe there is an Omaha Dynamic Language group
somewhere. I don't know how active they are. (Flame repellent on)
Ruby is awesome.

> My current role is an Applications System Administrator for West
> Corporation. (just started last week)

I believe there are some current and/or former West Corp employees
floating around OLUG.

> Okay, that's enough about me, what about you?
> How active is the list? Group? Site?(site hasn't been updated in a
> while... are there still meetings being held? if so, when? Is anyone
> actively involved in any projects? and last but not least, is anyone
> interested in joining a Linux Advocacy group?

Meetings are still held the first Tuesday of the month at the AIM
lab, just like the site says. I don't go often enough. We also hold
bi-yearly installfests for new users on a weekend. You just missed
the last one not too long ago. Some of the more active people are
nice enough to put together a presence at the local IT conference
some years as well.

What do you mean by projects? I've sent some patches, but that's
about it.

I think OLUG is a Linux Advocacy group...

> So much for a quick note to say hello...

Hi again.

> Cheers!

Cheers! I'm off to find the ground loop in my home theater (with a
MythTV box of course).

-- Daniel