[olug] The Daylight Savings Time (US and Canada) Glitch

gregory at r3g.net gregory at r3g.net
Wed Feb 21 19:27:08 UTC 2007

Daylight Saving Time 2007 will impact almost everything you can think of that deals with adjustments to or lookups from a UTC reference. Although NTP deals in UTC almost universally, unless configured otherwise for whatever reason, all other systems on corporate LANs take that NTP/UTC supplied time and manipulate to present user-friendly GUI-ized time for meetings, scheduled tasks and the like. Systems use a lookup to know when to convert across Daylight Saving boundaries. This lookup is different for 2007. Therefore, regular weekly meeting that occur across this DST2007 window have the potential to be off by an hour. Schedule jobs could run an hour off or not at all because the other end is either accurate with time or not.

The quick localtime check posted earlier in this thread is very easy way of checking *nix systems which I have found are mostly updated already. The Exchange convoluted DST2007 updates are unnecessarily maddening, and everything else lies somewhere in between. Apple, from my investigation at our locations was automagically updated last fall. Windoze, once again, cause the commotion ;-)