[olug] Compaq Presario 5080US

Dave Thacker dthacker9 at cox.net
Fri Feb 16 01:04:19 UTC 2007

On Thursday 15 February 2007 18:37, Paul & Debbie Lewis wrote:
> Help anyone,
>
>     I got a Compaq Presario 5080US from my sister-in-law and am wondering
> how hard would it be to make it into a Linux box?  I know that Compaq uses
> a lot of goofy drivers just to make Windows work nicely with the CD drives
> and other things.  Has anyone experienced problems with Linux on one of
> these boxes?

Paul,
I'd grab a Ubuntu or Kubuntu CD and throw it in the CD-ROM drive and see what
happens. (give me a shout if you need one) You can check the hardware without
actually installing the OS, and chances are very good you will have no
problems.   The specs on this machine say it had 128MB SyncDRam, and I'd try
and bring it up to 256MB if I was using Gnome or KDE.

Dave Thacker