[olug] 10 gig pci express network card?

Shawn Mattingly smattin at mimezine.org
Tue Aug 28 06:12:14 UTC 2007

I haven't got to play with it yet, but I've researched it a bit.  Looked
to me like laser-graded index (aqua jacketed) multimode cable would be
the best option for a low-volume datacenter deployment rather than
copper.  Copper at that speed looks picky and hard to test.  I read
somewhere (maybe in Infoworld) that NICs are running upwards of $1200
for copper and double that for optical.  Maybe bonding 1Gbps links would
be more cost effective?  Depends on what you need and are trying to achieve.

I did a quick check and it doesn't look like Intel has released a 10G
server NIC for PCI Express...only PCI-X
<http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/pro10GbE_SR_server_adapter.htm>.
I'll be shocked if they don't have one out this fall though, they have a
controller chip
<http://www.intel.com/design/network/products/lan/controllers/82598.htm>
but apparently they haven't wrapped a circuit board around it yet.

See this <http://www.byteandswitch.com/document.asp?doc_id=87773> for
some info on why you are having a hard time finding pricing on Neterion.

Shawn