[olug] 10 gig pci express network card?

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Tue Aug 28 05:35:58 UTC 2007

neal rauhauser wrote:
>   Have any of you guys installed 10 gig PCI express ethernet? Which card did
> you use? Any complaints? This is going to be for replication between two SAN
> boxes and the customer prefers Intel ... I see the Intel and Neteiron have
> cards, but I'm having a heck of a time finding pricing. Is this stuff really
> that new?

Fiber or copper?

Intel's web site doesn't show any PCI express (AKA PCI-E) 10G ethernet
cards, only PCI-X (aka 64-bit PCI @ 133MHz). They make PCI-E quad
gigabit tho', not exactly what your client is looking for.

I see buy.com carries the PXLA8591CX4 (PCI-X copper 10G) for just a
little bit south of $1k US. The PXLA8591SR (sort range fiber) and
PXLA8591LR (long range fiber) are ~$3k US and $5.5k US.

10G ethernet to servers is pretty cutting-edge, with very few interface
cards on the market; most of it is hard to find. Most 10G stuff I see is
switch<->switch.

There are a few other cards available:
SuperMicro AOC-NXB-10GCX4 & AOC-NXB-10GXSR
Chelsio products like the N310E-CX

The SuperMicro cards use the NetXen 10G controllers.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us