[olug] New Linux User (long)

Benjamin Watson bwatson1979 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 02:49:26 UTC 2007

Rather than ripping all of his CDs to his hard drive, he might think
of investing in a portable 2.5" USB drive.  I picked up an 80GB unit
at Best Buy about 6-8 months ago for $130.  The think I like about it
is:

1. It's capacity - 80GB
2. Completely USB powered
3. Small form factor (too big to wear around your neck, but will fit
in a pocket.

They had 160GB models with the same form factor.  At any rate, they're
much cheaper these days.  In fact, the one here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8293937&st=simpletech&type=product&id=1172277307942

Is nearly the same model I have and is only $90.  Since then, I've
also purchased the 500GB model (which is basically a hard drive in a
case).

My point is, your friend could rip all of his music to this device and
carry it with him should his internal HD not be up to snuff.  The only
drawback is that it isn't self powered and has no built in MP3 player,
so it isn't quite the poor man's iPod.  However, being that your
friend is back in school, I'm sure he'll need to transfer files at
some point.

Ben