[olug] I'm one of the nails in SCO coffin...

Daniel Pfile daniel at pfile.net
Thu Aug 23 20:43:22 UTC 2007

Companies can and do win lawsuits to have copyrighted software removed
from public access after having it be available to the public for a long
time. Ask anybody who plays games on emulators or reads guitar tab and
lyrics on the internet. It's not like trademarks, there's no 'defend it
or lose it' clause.

That said, it's this little gem that's the big deal:

"If information relating to a SOFTWARE PRODUCT subject to this Agreement
at any time becomes available without restriction to the general public
by acts not attributable to LICENSEE or its employees, LICENSEE'S
obligations under this section shall not apply to such information after
such time."

When bell labs began getting rid of their old computers with copies of
the source code on them they made the code available. When that
happened, the license that the code was under allowed the recipients of
the code to disclose it. So, disclosure would not be copyright infringement.

IANAL :)

-- Daniel

PS: I have a 9-track Bell Labs SysV R2 root tape for a VAX 11/780 here
in my office, complete with an ATT proprietary label on it. I got it
around 97 I think. No source code though. :( If somebody had a spare
11/780 or 750 we could try to boot it up.