[olug] Newbie type question

Benjamin Watson bwatson1979 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 01:54:25 UTC 2007

Like Carl mentioned, this is something easiest done during initial install.

For example, in the Windows world, when I build a new box, I create a
15-20G partition for the "C" drive for just the OS.  I know this seems
like a lot of space, but you know Windoze.  Even if you install an app
to another partition, Bill and Company like to stick additional files
on the OS partition.  I then partition the remainder of the space as I
see fit (file downloads, user data such as the "My Documents" folders,
etc).

The same can be said for most *Nix installs.  It is all in the
partitioning at initial build.  The partitions I worry about sizing
appropriately are the root (/) for the OS and swap (/swap) for
"virtual memory".  From what I've read, a good swap size is the size
of your RAM up to 2 times the size of your RAM.  For the root space,
it depends on the distro, but I'd say you're safe at 10G or so (of
course there are entire Linux systems running on 40MB flash memory).
The rest is user/program space, so partition as you see fit.

I'd second Car's bet that backing up your Home directories is enough
(granted that your users save everything to their respective home
directories and/or desktops).  The configs in /etc are good too for
custom program configurations.  If you've built anything from source
(e.g. custom kernels), you might want to delve into /usr/src

Ben